Statement of Purpose
“MASTER OF PUBLIC HEALTH”
Source: KIEC Student (YA21RAN)
I believe that a Degree in Master in Public Health from Central Queensland University, Australia would be very helpful for me to achieve all my objectives. It would further allow me to channel all my conceptual and quantitative skills in teams of analyzing Personal and professional ethics and I personally believe that International Education, Experience and Exposure will clear my vision intensively and critically towards my Long Term Goals and to achieve these goals I plan to go to Australia for my further education. I shall convey my views in my SOP below.
INTRODUCTION & ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION:
I am Applicant Name, I was born on 31st May 19XX About my Family Details My Father’s name is Name and he is professionally working as Businessman After his Retirement from his Previous Job from Rajbiraj Municipality office & My Mother’s Name is Name .And she is Housewife. Further on My Passport Number is XXXXXX. I’m Permanent Resident of Saptari, Province Number 02, Nepal. We are family of six members including my parents, elder brother, sister-in-law and a younger sister. About my academic qualification, I have done my Secondary School from Gautam Shishu Sadan Boarding Secondary School in 2XXX and scored XX%. After that I completed HSEB (year 12 equivalent) in 2XXX and Scored XX% from Araniko Awasiya Higher Secondary School, Biratnagar, Nepal. I came to Chitwan in the year 2XXX and commenced my 4 years undergraduate degree (Bachelors of Nursing in Science) from College Of Medical Sciences (Kathmandu University) in 2XXX and I scored XX%. About my hobbies I was also involved in a lot of community and volunteering activities by 2013 through the college premises. I was involved in number of charity programs for orphanage and drug rehabilitation center during my practical classes in college. I did all these during my undergraduate years without affecting my academic integrity and it was appreciated by my near and dear ones.
About my Work Experience I started working with Non-Government Organization (Sabal Nepal Sponsorship program of Save the Children) as being a Health Facilitator to conduct School Health Program from 15th April 2XXX till the end month of October 2017 i.e. 30th October 2XXX. After that, I joined Nursing Institute (Chhinnamasta Educational Academy) of Rajbiraj Saptari from 23rd September 2XXX till 15th June 2XXX as a Nursing Instructor. Currently, I am working in Non- Government Organization Save the Saptari (Sponsorship program of Save the Children) from May 1st, 2XXX as being a Health Field Officer till Date. In this whole period of working phase, I learned almost essential skill of nursing management, research methodology, communication & cooperation skill, teaching method and got deeper understanding of human life to be healthy. During my Job I realized the importance of International degree Experience and Exposure and much more career opportunities for my Career Settlement’s. I am very much Career oriented from my childhood so I delicately started thinking and exploring for my future Settlement so that I can feel Confident enough to move myself in this competitive world. Later on I came to this conclusion that if I complete my further studies from abroad I will be personally and professionally highly skilled with latest Knowledge and Latest methodology. Finally with the consent of my parents I decided to do my further studies from abroad. Moreover My Family is my strength and the day I was born they have started saving money for my bright future so for that matter my fees and my living expense during my studies in Australia will be taken care by my parents. Later on I visited various consultancies and finally came across consultant of Kathmandu Infosys, Biratnagar who guided me personally and helped me to get insight into Australian universities and its courses. Finally I gave my IELTS Exam on 21st April 2XXX and scored overall 6.0 Bands with 6.5 in listening & Speaking Modules. Later on with the help of my agent, I decided to apply for Central Queensland University and applied for offer Letter on 8th October 2XXX After being interviewed on 10th October 2XXX I was successfully able to pass the interview and received the offer letter on 17th October 2XXX.
Moreover few more details are as follows:
1. CQU application process 11th Nov 2XXX #
2. Interview date………….10th Oct 2XXX
3. Time taken for financial documents………..40 Days
4. GTE applied date………………….23rd Nov 2XXX
5. GTE approved date…………….4th Jan 2XXX
REASON FOR CHOOSING AUSTRALIA AS STUDY DESTINATION:
Australia is the most popular educational destination for Nepalese students as it gives numerous academic options and opportunities to international students. Distinct from many other destinations, I found Australian government has really shown initiatives to help and facilitate international students by adapting Education Services for Overseas Students ESOS ACT (2000) and Tuition Protection Service (TPS). ESOS ACT made sure that, I, being unable to physically examine my university, won’t be cheated and provided with false information, and with Tuition protection I could get a refund or at least be properly transferred in case my university fails to teach me the chosen subject. Australia is therefore a trustworthy educational destination. Australia has some of the world’s finest universities which provide excellent education with world-wide recognition and also at a very affordable cost compared to universities at other countries. It is very popular because of its highly valued education system for which both the private and government sector has invested heavily. Australian education system is ranked 4th in the QS World University Higher Education System Strength Ranking 2016. Education and living costs are also considerably affordable in Australia when compared to United States and United Kingdom, while it has definitely a better weather than that of Canada. Furthermore, Australian universities have taken initiatives to develop and implement improved and updated coursework over time, which is very impressive and helps students who want to grow their career in today’s complex business world. Australian degree is also well recognized and highly valued in Nepalese industries which add competitive value to my career prospect. Apart from all that, Australia is also ranked as one of the top 5 healthiest nations in the world by Bloomberg Global Health Index in 2017. Australian natives are known for being friendly and cheerful, as many of Nepalese students in Australia has noted. Australia has scored 8 out of 10 in pleasant climate, 9 out of 10 in caring about human rights, 10 out of 10 in religious freedom, 9 out of 10 in modernization, nearly 10 out of 10 in political and economic stability, and safety and around 9 out of 10 in well-developed public education and health system.
WHY NOT ANY OTHER COUNTRY:
Australia is fast becoming a preferred destination in terms of education among students. Currently, this “land of kangaroos” attracts the third largest number of international students in the English-speaking world after the US and the UK. In some countries Australia is the first choice of study destination. Australia offers an educational experience that makes a real difference. It provides a unique kind of education and a learning style that encourages one to be innovative, creative and think independently. Graduates from Australia are very successful in finding jobs and hold prominent positions worldwide. Additionally, they are readily accepted for postgraduate study at leading international universities.
- Moreover Australia is a dynamic, vibrant country with energetic, friendly people. Multicultural Australia is English-speaking and a safe and friendly society in which students can learn and travel freely.
- Australia also offers excellent value for money and a standard of living that is among the highest in the world. Living expenses and tuition costs in Australia are considerably less expensive than the UK and USA. The other advantages for this country in the Asia Pacific Rim include paid internships while studying.
- Australia has around 38,4000 international students from over 140 countries in disciplines at every level of education, including short-term English language courses, Bachelor and Masters Degrees right through to Doctoral Degrees.
- The Australian Educational Institute approach to vocational and technical education recognised as among the best and most innovative in the world. It enjoys an international reputation for excellence in all areas of education and training. Australian universities are widely recognised for excellence in many disciplines.
- Institutions of Australia deliver practical and career-orientated training so graduates can be confident they have the skills demanded by employers. It has played an important role in Australia’s economic performance, by greatly increasing the skill of workers and contributing to improved productivity.
- Australia has a reputation for adopting new technologies at a faster rate than in most other countries and enters the new millennium with one of the highest rates of internet access in the world. Facilities for teaching, training and research are world-class in terms of state-of-the-art laboratories and classrooms, outstanding libraries and modern technology.
- Australian qualifications are recognised by employers and leading educational institutions in many countries around the world. Moreover, most courses and training undertaken by international students in Australia are covered by Australian Qualification Framework (AQF). It is a system of learning which is authorised by the Australian government.
- Australia’s national quality assurance system is unique both in its structure and its rigour. International students, and even their parents, enjoy an unparalleled level of service and financial protection. The country is committed to providing quality education to students — be it national or international.
- The Australian Quality Training Framework has been set up by the government to strengthen the quality assurance processes in education. Australia provides the world’s most rigorous protection for international students through ESOS.
- Australia is a safe, multicultural, friendly and harmonious society. Australians value the wealth of cultural diversity and social sophistication that international students bring to the campuses and communities.
- Great care is taken in looking after international students and helping them to adjust to the Australian way of life. Australia has a low crime rate and strict gun control laws providing a safe environment.
- People from about 200 countries have migrated to Australia, making Australia one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. The multicultural nature of Australian society means international students are readily accepted by other students, and teachers are experienced in teaching classes to students from many countries.
- Students are more or less frustrated about the lengthy and costly visa application procedure for the US and UK. The Guardian has recently published a report saying UK visas should address the problems encountered by one-third of students in obtaining visas 18 per cent found it a lengthy and difficult process even though their first application was eventually successful, 8 per cent were initially refused but received a visa on a second application and 5 per cent received one after appealing their initial refusal.
- In Australia, a student gets value for money in terms of cost of living. The conversion factor is cheaper compared to the UK or US.
- While the UK closes doors for doctors and the US focuses more on IT professionals, international students have started to hit upon Australia which offers more job facilities in multiple disciplines. Be it in agriculture or aeronautics, accounts or actuaries, Australia offer work permits to international students like none other.
REASON FOR CHOOSING MELBOURNE:
Melbourne is the second most popular city in Australia and is the state capital of Victoria. It stands in the 5th position worldwide for best student city with one of the world’s most diverse student communities. It also stands 5th in desirability and 15th in student experience, which looks very attractive to any international student. It is also fairly modern and clean with substantial infrastructures. It has been home of some Australian prestigious universities, technical information and schools. Students can experience the Culture, tradition and language of the city as it has been educational hub for international students. Climatic condition in Melbourne is favourable for international students. High Living standard and better quality of life attracts more students in Melbourne and it is also ranked as top liveable and sporty city in the world. It is the fastest growing city full of luxury facilities for mankind. Studying in such a multicultural environment of Australia’s educational hub will definitely give me international exposure.
REASONS FOR CHOOSING CENTRAL QUEENSLAND UNIVERSITY:
After selecting Australia as my preferred destination, I started looking for universities offering Master in Public Health with few criteria on my mind like affordability, course duration and structure, hospitality. I browsed through website of different universities like University of Sydney, University of New South Wales, University of Wollongong, and Monash University. They all had varied programs for 1 or 1.5 years master’s course or postgraduate diploma course which I do not want to pursue as I have always wanted to study 2 years full time postgraduate study at affordable cost. In search of my desire for course at affordable price, I came to know regarding CQU. Firstly, Central Queensland University appealed me because of its structure, which was designed programme for students in the field of Public Health and also which was for the duration of 2 years on full time study basis. Secondly, the fee structure of CQU was affordable for me compared to other universities which were on the higher side in fee structure. CQ University ranks among the world’s top 600 universities according to the prestigious and trusted Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2017–2018). With more than 26000 universities across the globe, this result places CQ University among the top two per cent of universities worldwide. Along with this, Times Higher Education also recognized CQ University as one of the world’s best young universities, ranking at 90th place out of 200 institutions under 50 years of age in 2017. CQ University’s Health related courses have also been recognized among the best in the world in the 2017 Times Higher Education Subject Rankings. Furthermore, CQ University mainly aims to develop the leadership skills of all students and encourage them to participate in activities that will build these skills. Further, I came to know that CQ University has introduced internship program to ensure the graduate are work ready by equipping them with real world skills and up to date industry knowledge. I am really fascinated about CQ University’s partnership which permits the students to benefit from work integrated learning. In addition to these, for the assistance to the overseas students, CQ University has been promoting welfare support services such as advice on airport pickup, accommodation assistance, religious service, student’s mentor and leadership programs. Despite being a young university, CQ University has made outstanding achievement and it is recognized as Australia’s best and largest regional university with its 25 campuses in 13 locations Australia wide. Overall, CQU accessibility and affordability, graduate employability rate along with its diverse multidisciplinary courses for international students at multiple campuses in regional and metropolitan cities across Australia which shows its flexibility helped me choose the university. Fee structure comparison with other Universities Description is as follows:
Fee structure of my course is AUD$ 43, 456, Where as in University of Sydney AUD$ 44, 500, University of Queensland AUD$ 57,472, Monash University fees is AUD$ 66,000, Australian National University (ANU) fees is AUD$ 47,632 so I preferred CQU for my further studies
REASON FOR CHOOSING MY PROPOSED COURSE (MASTER OF PUBLIC HEALTH):
As I was completing my Bachelor’s degree I was keen on continuing my study and at first Master in Nursing was my first choice but later on consulting with my seniors and relatives working in Organization sector, they suggested MPH is that you are trained to understand how to improve health at the population level, rather than improving health at the person- to person level like with the nursing degree, a medical degree or a physician assistant degree. After more research, I found that for Master in Public Health suits me perfectly to boost myself to health management system. There are five main branches of Public Health: biostatics, epidemiology, health behaviour & education, environmental health and health management & policy. Each branch focuses on how various factors affect the health of communities, nations, and even the whole world. Healthcare financing is moving in a direction that emphasizes population health and cost containment, which means there will be a greater need for public health graduates in the future. Many jobs require an MPH, ranging from jobs in government health departments, global NGOs, schools, hospital systems, and consulting agencies. After doing details research, the best option for my further study I choose the course “Master in Public Health” in CQ University, Australia. According to the CQ University, Qualification for this award requires the successful completion of 96 credit points within 2 years which comprises the total of 16 courses, So, I think CQ University will surely provide best quality education to its students. I hope to learn and achieve best education from well qualified and experienced teachers with well maintained facilities. So, according to my research, I found CQUniversity to be the right place for me to continue my studies and fulfil my dream to study in Australia. The main subjects I will study in this course are:
Communications and Informatics
Public Health Biology and Management.
REASON FOR NOT CHOOSING NEPAL:
The primary reason why I did not choose to pursue my masters in one of Nepalese University is because of the outdated coursework coupling with instability. Additionally, the lack of practical education, quality of academic resources, competitive teaching pedagogy, institutional facility, and my choice of coursework are also notable factors leading my decision for foreign study. I am looking for a master’s degree that incorporates good practical & research stability coursework enabling student to use the skill set in cohesion for decision making in their professional career. In Nepal, these subjects have to be studied under separate degrees and still very theoretically, which may or may not enhance my knowledge base but it will surely not help me to attain necessary practical skill set. Furthermore, Nepali degrees hardly open up my connections and prospect in Nepal. I am choosing Australia over Nepal for my post-graduate studies because I wanted to enhance my skill-set, my knowledge base, and properly explore my caliber as a global Nursing student, which I cannot do here in Nepal.
I am intending to study Masters in Public Health, the study of patterns and processes in healthcare and public health. This course will survey some of the many medical science topics at an introductory level, ultimately helping to build a career in hospital or in scientific research. According to university website, I will learn a lot of techniques which will ultimately develop my knowledge of health of communities & nations. The university has state-of-the-art bio-analytical laboratories and highly qualified research scientists as academic staff so I can build a career in hospitals or research institutions after I graduate. So, surely, if I get to study at CQ University, I will be very grateful as studying in Australia is a dream for me and it can also be very beneficial for my country if it gets a graduate from such a reputed and well-known university in the Australia. My parents are happy with my decision to pursue this degree and are willing to sponsor my education and living expenses while I am there. Companies name where she can work in health sector, expected salary. Popular Career Options I will get after doing this course includes:
Food safety Inspector
Public health Advisor
Director of Health
Health communications Specialist
INTENTION TO RETURN BACK TO HOME COUNTRY:
We Nepalese are traditionally bounded people who strongly believe in living together sharing happiness and sorrows together and most importantly being each other’s support system. Also, me being an elder girl child of my parents, I have huge responsibility towards them as a guardian. I need to look after them in their old age providing them with moral, emotional and financial support. Moreover, as my country Nepal is in the developing stage, so as a responsible citizen of my nation I do have duties and responsibilities towards it and I believe that as an internationally recognized student in the field of Public Health I can contribute to the country’s progress to a certain extent for its upcoming bright future. I, therefore, want to assure that my intention to return back to my own country is genuine since I have got plenty of obligations towards my family as well as my home country.
COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS:
As getting an international degree from Australia is a huge investment of my parents on my dreams, therefore, I do have certain expectations after the completion of my course. After getting an internationally recognized degree, I will have plenty of opportunities waiting for me in the doorstep of my home country. With regards to financial return, there is a huge difference between the students having Nepalese degree and international degree. After getting appointed in reputed organizations would help to fetch an initial salary of NPR 45,000 or NPR 55,000 for Nepalese degree holders. As I work hard and gain experience, in Nepal I can get a handsome amount of one lakhs to two lakhs per month or even more based on job description and experience for the experienced and talented person . This would help me to get the returns from my study pursuing from Australia with a time frame of 5 to 6 years. The knowledge, skills, exposures, competencies and international corporate cultures gained in Australia have a great value in life and with the growing time and passing years in working field which will enable me to incorporate all these skills in order excel my status. Therefore, I will try to fight for government job too in the post of senior officer which will secure my career as I will have accumulated all the required experiences to hold the same. Moreover, I can plan to start my own development project along with the competent of the country that would definitely boost up my career graph in the days ahead.
MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE STUDENT VISA CONDITIONS:
Being overseas student in Australia, there are certain rules and regulation that must be followed legally, else will be legally punished according to Australian Government. And I am aware about the student visa conditions belonging to subclass 500. Some of the student visa conditions are listed below:
- I am allowed to work only 40 hours per fortnight when my course is in session.
- I must remain enrolled in a registered course.
- I must maintain 80% attendance in my course have course progress for each study period as required by my education provider.
- I must maintain adequate arrangement for health insurance during my stay in Australia under policy of OSHC.
- I must inform my education provider about the address where I live in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia. If I change the living place, I must inform the education provider immediately.
- I must continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support my study and stay in Australia.
- I must not be involved in activities that are disruptive to, or in violence threaten harm to, the Australian community or a group within the Australian community.
I would like to assure you that I will remain responsible, obedient and abide by all the rules and regulations while I remain in Australia. I will comply all the visa conditions and will return back to my own land after the completion of my course. I will fully dedicate myself in fulfilling my aim and will try to get the best out of CQU and Australia that will help me develop my career.
Waiting for your humble response and thank you for assessing application.