To study in Canada you need to study permit and a visa.  However, you don’t need to apply for both or pay an additional fee.  The visa will automatically be issued at the same time as your study permit.

You can apply for a study permit either online or through a paper application.  Paper application takes a longer time than the online application. While applying online you will have to submit a digital copy of your documents. If you decide to go with paper application anyway, please remember you will have to pay visa application center (VAC) service fees in addition to the study permit fee. The processing time for VAC in Nepal, in general, is 6 weeks. It does not include transit time between the VAC and IRCC offices in Canada.

Before you apply

Before you apply for a study permit, make sure you have:

  • Proof of acceptance to an educational institution
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of financial support
  1. Proof of acceptance

After you have done thorough research about where in Canada and which university you plan to attend and applied to it, the respective educational institution in Canada sends you the letter of acceptance. You need to include the original letter of acceptance with your study permit application.

  1. Proof of identity

You need the following documents to apply for a study permit:

  • A valid passport or travel document.
  • Two recent passport-size photos.

Both of the above apply to you and each accompanying family member.

  1. Proof of financial support

It is essential that you show the visa officers that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and the family members who accompany while you are in Canada.

If you are a single student, the minimum fund you need to show is Tuition* plus $10,000 for a 12-month period. If one family member is accompanying you, you will need to add $4000 for a 12-month period and $3000 for each additional family member.

* The Tuition fee varies according to the university you are attending.  

Note:  You may want to apply to renew your study permit from within Canada if you decide to continue studying in Canada. Then at that time, you need to submit a Letter of explanation along with these documents.

After you apply

After the visa office receives your application, you may be required to go through medical checkups and provide police reports.  Visa officers ask you to do so in both cases.  If they ask for the medical information, the processing time of your application increases by more than three months.

If your application is approved:

A letter of introduction will be sent to you confirming the approval. This letter is not your study permit. However, keep the letter safe. You will be required to bring the letter of introduction with you to show to immigration officials at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada. For a Nepalese citizen, a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) will also be issued. The visa will be in your passport.

Links and references:
Study permit
CIC website
Nepal VAC