In order for a citizen of a foreign country to enter the United States, a visa is required. The visa may be a non-immigrant visa or an immigrant visa. Nonimmigrant visa lets you stay for a temporary time period while the immigrant visa makes you the permanent resident of the United States.

Any international student wishing to study in the United States should obtain a student visa. The student visa can be an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa based on your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend

To attend : The required visa category is :
University or college F
High School
Private elementary school
Another academic institution, including a language training program
Vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program M
Source: Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State

Before Applying For Visa

Visa application process is not a standalone process. Before you go to apply for a student visa, you must first apply to and accepted by a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) approved school. There are thousands of schools and colleges in USA to choose from and the list will narrow down based on your preferences. When you are accepted by the U.S. school you plan to attend, you will be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).  The U.S. school will provide you with a Form I-20 to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.

  • If a student wants to take his dependent family member(s) –spouse and /or children- – they need to obtain individual Form I-20s but are not required to pay the SEVIS fee.


Student Visa application process

The application process for a student visa can be summarized under the following headings:


Determine your visa type

Determine whether you need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa based on your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend.

Complete visa application

Fill up the DS-160 Form. Along with other information, you are required to upload a photograph taken within the last six months as a part of the DS-160 process.  You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment. Keep the confirmation page safe for print of it is required for the interview at the U.S. Embassy.

Pay fees

Pay Visa Application Fee

Now is the time to pay visa fee. The visa fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable. There are several options to pay your visa fees- by cash at Nepal Investment Bank Limited (NIBL), ATM, or by Online. You will need to create a profile by visiting website dedicated to Apply for US Visa specific to Nepal and print a copy of deposit slip to take to bank along with you. You will have to pay NPR 17600. Keep your receipt number to book your visa appointment. This receipt is valid for one year from the date of payment.

Document Checklist

  • A printed copy of your DS-160 confirmation page, signed form I-20, one photograph taken ssports, and the original visa and SEVIS fee paymewithin the last six months, your current and all old pant receipt

Supporting Documents

  • Academic documents that show scholastic preparation. Useful documents include school transcripts (original copies are preferred) with grades, public examination certificates (A-levels, etc.), standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), and diplomas.
  • Financial and any other documents to support your application. It might include original copies of bank statements.
  • Bring proof of your relationship to the sponsor if you are financially sponsored by another person.

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

  • Proof of the student’s relationship to his or her spouse and/or child (e.g., marriage and birth certificates)

Check out Document Checklist needed for applying to US Universities


Important Links: