International students in Canada with expired post-graduation work permits(PGWPs) can now apply for an 18 month “open work permit”. As per the Canadian government, over 50,000 international students will be benefitted from this new policy. 
These students in Canada will now be able to seek job opportunities and remain in Canada. This policy will open doors for them to gain Canadian work experience and ultimately be eligible to apply for Canadian residency.

How to apply

For international students to be eligible for the open work permit, they must be in Canada and also:

  • Have either a PGWP that expired on or after 30 January 2020 or a PGWP that expires in four months or less from the date of application;
  • A valid temporary status or be applying to restore their status.

The application process will open 27 January and remain open until 27 July 2021. Details will soon be posted on the IRCC website.

For more information:

<<<Back to Menu >>>