For all student to Australia


Apply for your student visa


  • Once you have confirmed that you meet ALL the conditions, pay your tuition fees and student health cover (OSHC) as stated on your Letter of Offer and receive your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).
  • Contact your nearest Australian High Commission/Embassy or Institute overseas representative or agent.
  • Lodge an application for your student visa.


Book your airline ticket

  • Remember you need to arrive at your institute on time for orientation and enrolment


Prepare to leave your home country

  • Decide what to bring.
  • Plan your finances.
  • Know what to expect when you arrive.
  • Know the health checks you may need to take to enter Australia.


Get informed about your Institute

  • Take note of orientation and enrolment dates.
  • Remember important academic dates.
  • Become familiar with Institute policies and procedures


Get to know your new surroundings

  • Find out about what is available on and near to the campus.
  • Find out about what is on in your proposed city itself and how you can get involved.



Book an airline ticket as soon as you have accepted your place at your proposed institute, as seats are in heavy demand prior to the start of Semester/trimester. Please ensure you allow sufficient time for your visa application to be processed so you can arrive at your institute in time to attend orientation. Students must be present for the full duration of the orientation program.


To maintain your visa, you must:

  • study full-time while in Australia
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • maintain a valid enrolment at your Institute/University and notify Institute if you change your visa status
  • immediately advise your Institute if you change your Australian address
  • have enough money to cover tuition fees and living expenses while in Australia
  • not work more than 40 hours per fortnight during each study trimester (you are allowed to work unlimited hours during study break)
  • maintain valid Overseas Student Health Cover
  • not transfer between registered education providers within the first six months of the starting date of your principal course, without a release letter from your original education provider.





You must bring the following documents with you to your institute/University when you arrive for orientation and enrolment:

  • passport—check your expiry date as renewing your passport in Australia can take some time
  • Letter of Offer—the Letter of Offer is very important, as you will need to present it at the time of enrolment; please do not lose this document
  • original or certified copies of your qualifications
  • driver’s licence (if you have one)
  • medical history or prescriptions required for ongoing medication.



September to February are the warmer months, with average temperatures ranging from 18 to 30 degrees Celsius. In summer months, most people wear lightweight t-shirts and shorts. March to August are the colder months with average temperatures ranging from 7 to 19 degrees Celsius. A warm waterproof jacket is recommended for the winter months.


Not all accommodation (except for homestay) will include furniture or household items. All required items can be purchased easily from a wide variety of stores. Secondhand household items are available relatively cheaply.



(Note: need to insert link or info in short)

Sydney is a multicultural and cosmopolitan city situated on one of the world’s most beautiful natural harbours. Sydney’s mild climate gives you access to a thriving outdoor lifestyle all year round. Whether you enjoy shopping, dining, sightseeing, art, culture, music or outdoor activities, you can always find activities and events that cater to your interests. Sydney also has a number of special events, markets and festivals held throughout the year.

To find out more about what’s on in Sydney visit:, and


Live and study in one of the most cosmopolitan and picturesque cities in the world. Experience a vibrant arts culture, superb shopping and a pleasant climate while you gain an internationally recognised university education. Meet students from around the world living in student accommodation in close proximity to your Institute/University or choose from a range of independent options located nearby.

You may choose to live with an Australian family, in student lodging, or rent an independent apartment. Whatever you decide, we suggest arranging your accommodation as early as possible—preferably as soon as you have accepted your place at your proposed Institute/University.

If you haven’t decided where you would like to live in your chosen city we recommend booking Homestay for your first 2-4 weeks while you find more permanent accommodation.




We recommend you arrive in Australia with at least A$700 and easy access to a further A$2000 for your first week in Australia. It is not advisable to carry substantial amounts of cash on you; use travellers’ cheques, bank drafts or money orders instead.

It may be useful to have a credit card to allow access to funds for establishment costs. You may require approximately A$2000 to pay for costs associated with obtaining permanent housing, including bond money, rent in advance (usually two weeks) and utility connections such as power, gas and telephone.


Living expenses cannot be sent with tuition fee payments, as the disbursement of student living expenses is not a service offered by Institute/University. Living expenses should be sent to your personal bank account; please inform your parents if this is required.


The Australian dollar ($ or A$) is a decimal unit of currency, with 100 cents to the dollar. Notes come in denominations of $100, $50, $20, $10 and $5. Coins come in $1 and $2 (gold coins) and 50, 20, 10 and 5 cents (silver coins). You can learn how your country’s currency compares to the Australian dollar at


You can expect to pay, on average, around A$410 (single) and A$770–970 (family) per week for living expenses. Living expenses vary depending upon financial resources, tastes and interests. You and your parents are advised to set out a budget according to your individual needs. In the beginning, your budget should be flexible to allow for changes and unexpected expenses.


Rent A$200-550 weekly rate
(share accommodation is cheaper)

Haircut female A$20-100
(Women in Australia pay more for a haircut!)

Movie ticket A$13-15
(student discount might apply)

Restaurant/café meal A$8-25M

Medical A$70 per consultation

Public transport A$30 weekly
(special discount for students may apply)

Gas and electricity A$20 if you share accommodation weekly

Taxi 5 minutes ride could cost A$5-10

Motor vehicle expenses

Students intending to purchase a motor vehicle will incur additional expenses such as petrol, insurance and licence costs. It is advisable to purchase motor vehicle insurance to protect yourself financially in the event of an accident or theft.

Text and reference books

Your Institute/University has a well established library with a range of textbooks and resources available to borrow. Students may also need to budget around A$150–400 per trimester for text and reference books.




Australian Airports are well organised and there are many travel options when you arrive. You can download a map of the airport and research your travel options.

Airport shuttle buses

Airport shuttle buses are a convenient and cost-effective way of travelling to and from the airport. You can book online and have a shuttle bus take you from the airport to your accommodation.

Visit or for more information.


If the train station is situated inside the international terminal and can be easily accessed from the arrival and departure areas. Trains to Central Station run at different time interval and the journey takes less time. There are websites you can use to plan your journey to your accommodation using public transport.

Visit or for more information.


There are designated taxi stands at the front of both the international and domestic terminals. Taxi supervisors can organise taxis with baby capsules, wheelchair access, station wagons for larger baggage, and maxi taxis for groups. A taxi from the airport to the city will cost approximately A$40.


Remember to contact your family and friends back home and let them know you have arrived in Australia safely. Inform them of your travel details, where you are staying and how they can contact you by telephone or post. Be sure to keep them updated if you move house during your studies, as your institute/university is unable to release information about your address to your family and friends.

Mobile phones and the internet

If you plan to bring your mobile phone with you to Australia, check that your SIM card is compatible and not blocked for international use or locked to the telephone network you use in your home country. Similarly, if you plan to bring your laptop or notebook with you, ensure your device’s internal modem is compatible with Australia’s networks—some students have discovered they are unable to access the internet on their laptop in Australia. We suggest that if you are bringing a mobile phone, laptop or any communication device, first visit the Australian Communications and Media Authority website at

After you arrive in Australia, we suggest you speak to students who have been in Australia for some time for tips on the best telephone company and network to use. Some telephone companies will not supply services to people who are temporary residents in Australia, but you can use a prepaid phone system. Prepaid mobile phones also ensure you will never be faced with an unexpectedly high mobile phone bill. You can compare mobile phone providers at phones and deals


You will need to open a bank account shortly after your arrival in Australia. To open a new account with an Australian financial institution, you will need to show your passport and proof of postal address. After six weeks, the bank may require further proof of identity, such as a birth certificate or driver’s license with a photograph.

Some banks will waive bank fees if you provide proof of enrolment as a full-time student in tertiary education.

It is up to you to choose which bank you prefer to do business with. For more information, it is recommended you visit the website or telephone the preferred bank.


ANZ Tel: 13 13 14

Bankwest Tel: 13 17 18

Commonwealth Bank Tel: 132 221

HSBC Tel: 1300 308 880

NAB Tel: 13 22 65

St George Tel: 13 33 30

Westpac Tel: +61 1800 632 308
or 131 032


While living in Australia, you will have easy access to high quality medical services and facilities. You will receive a rebate from your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the services covered under your policy.

If you are sick, you can make an appointment to visit a general practitioner (GP). You will need to book an appointment in advance; however, some medical centres have appointments available if you call early in the morning (8–8.30 am).


Medications such as antibiotics and antihistamines will require a doctor’s prescription and cost approximately A$30 for a course (a course of antibiotics usually runs for five days). Some milder antihistamines and pain relief tablets may be bought over the counter and will cost around A$12. Pain relief tablets such as paracetamol or aspirin may be purchased at supermarkets without a prescription.


Australia is a predominantly Christian country, but you can also find Buddhist temples, Islamic mosques, Sikh temples, and other places of worship.

The following contains a list of websites of major religions:

Seventh-Day Adventist


You are granted permission to work 40 hours per fortnight during the term and unlimited hours during course breaks as a condition of your student visa. International students typically obtain work in retail, hospitality or administration, as these industries provide the most flexible working arrangements.

You should be careful to ensure part-time employment does not distract you from your studies. Part-time employment should not be relied on to pay for your tuition fees or other living expenses.

Note: DIBP may cancel a student’s work rights if academic performance declines.


There are a number of ways to find part-time employment in Australia. You will find job advertisements in newspapers and on websites such as, and

Another way to find a job is through word-of-mouth – through your friends and other people you know. It is a good idea to let your friends know you are looking for a job. They might know of a business that is looking for more staff, or let you know if they see a job advertised that may suit you.


When you find a vacancy you want to apply for, you may have to submit a résumé, also known as a curriculum vitae or CV. A résumé is a document that outlines your work history, skills and experience, and details your performance in these areas. Your résumé should sell your skills to the prospective employer. You do not need to include personal information such as your height, weight, marital status, date of birth, or attach a photograph of yourself.


The Australian Federal Government requires anyone working in Australia or with an Australian bank account to have a tax file number. Banks must be shown your tax file number to ensure the correct amount of tax is charged on any interest earned on your account. You can apply for a tax file number online via the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website at




Orientation Week is a fun and informative way of preparing you for university and life in Australia. During this event, you receive information how to avoid breaching visa regulations, what to expect in classes, and how to stay safe in Sydney. You receive your Student ID, enroll in units and meet teachers and staff.


During orientation you will attend enrollment, where you will receive important information and guidance about how to enroll in your course. Remember to bring your Letter of Offer, passport and original or certified copies of qualifications for Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) applications (if applicable).


Take note of the census date* for each teaching period. Once the census date has passed, you can no longer enrol in or withdraw from units without incurring a financial or academic penalty.

*A census date is the date at which an enrolment is considered to be final. Withdrawals after the census date will incur an academic penalty (for example, a fail grade) and a financial penalty (for example, no refund for your study contribution or tuition fees). The census date for courses offered is the Friday of week four of classes.


It is a condition of your student visa that you:

  • maintain up-to-date contact details, including an Australian residential address and phone number with the university and notify the university immediately when you change your residential address while you are a student at Australian Institute.
  • satisfy your course requirements and maintain a valid enrolment
  • maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (if your health cover expires, your benefits payable will be suspended).



Institute/University has specialist staff who can assist you with:

  • course information
  • eligibility for entry into university courses
  • the application process
  • course changes
  • study options.



Once you are on campus and enrolled in your course, you can contact the Student Services Manager for matters relating to:

  • adjusting to student or Australian life
  • study skills
  • academic support.



Understand the rights you have as a student and the expectations the University has of you. The booklet Student conduct—your rights and responsibilities explains your rights and responsibilities.


Updating your personal data

Institute/University students can update their personal contact. The personal information you provide will be accessed by University officers strictly for the purposes stated at time of collection. The information will be disclosed to state and Australian Government agencies where required by law, and to contractors engaged by the University to perform services on its behalf. Where personal information is to be provided to contractors, the University will require that confidentiality agreements be first entered into.


About the security of your data The University will not pass your information to any third party without your permission. IT Services provide detailed information on how they manage information security. Where necessary, the University may disclose personal information of its students to external organisations such as professional bodies, hospitals and schools in order to enable those students to undertake a practical experience/ clinical component of their course. Under the Guiding Ethical Principles, members of the University community are responsible for respecting an individual’s right to privacy. This means the University will not disclose personal information for any purpose other than what has been advised at time of collection, unless:

  • the University has obtained your explicit consent, or
  • the information is required by law, or
  • in the exceptional circumstance when withholding information would likely result in a serious threat to the health, safety or life of yourself, another individual, individuals or the general public. Staff and students are members of the University community and as such are required to respect each individual’s right to privacy.

All the best.