<< Back to Country Guide – New Zealand

Insurance for international students

The New Zealand Government’s Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students requires all international students to have appropriate medical and travel insurance during their period of study.

Many universities recommend Studentsafe Inbound University, a comprehensive insurance policy designed and supported by all the universities in New Zealand. Although you will not be required to show proof of health insurance as part of your visa application, you will need to declare that you will purchase coverage. You can also insure any accompanying family member under Studentsafe Inbound University policy. Family members, 60 years of age or over, are required to apply for acceptance before any cover can be provided under the policy.

Important information
However, it is important to note that The Studentsafe Inbound University policy does not automatically cover pre-existing medical conditions meaning that you will not be covered for conditions prevailing before enrollment. So if you happen to have such medical conditions, you will need to talk to them and choose additional options best suited to you. 

It is advised to purchase the insurance before you travel as the insurance covers for travel delays and cancellations, baggage and personal items amongst other.
Studentsafe Inbound University

There are also many alternative insurance policies that your university might consider. For that check with your university in time and ensure that it covers you for the whole period of enrolment, including travel to and from New Zealand.